The funeral home was
originally Hickey Funeral Home, and was located at 511 Main
Street, Milford, which is at the corner of High Street.
Hickey owned a livery stable that rented horses near
the bridge over the Little Miami River.
It was in a corner of this barn where he did his
interesting event took place one day while Mr. Hickey was
asleep on the couch in the front room of the funeral home, a
street car derailed and ran into the front of the house; it
caused quite a scene.
George Monroe bought the
funeral home from Mr. Hickey in 1931. The first records date
back to January 2, 1931.
In August of 1932, George Monroe moved the funeral home
to its present location of 741 Center Street, Milford at the
five points intersection.
LaRue Copher became a partner of George Monroe in 1960.
The name was changed to Monroe-Copher Funeral Home.
George Monroe died in 1968 and
about the same time John H. Evans and William Noakes
joined the funeral home.
William Noakes becomes a partner in 1972 and the name
was changed to Monroe-Copher-Noakes Funeral Home.
The name was change to Noakes Funeral Home in 1974 when
LaRue Copher died.
John H. Evans (Jack) purchased the funeral home in 1985 when
William Noakes retired.
The name was changed to John H. Evans Funeral Home.
Charles E. Evans son of Jack
and Charlotte Evans becomes a licensed funeral director in
1990 after working summers during college.
In 1995, another son Andrew W. Evans joins the funeral
home as a licensed funeral director. In 2000, Lewis E. Frith
II of Goshen, joined the firm
, followed by Gerald L.
Burger of Williamsburg, in 2003. In 2007, James F. Regenhold
of White Oak, joined the staff as a funeral director, followed
by Mary Lu Roby of Blanchester in 2008.
History of the building at 741 Center Street, Milford
home was built around around 1900 and was occupied as a
Subsequently it was used as a doctor’s office and grocery
store. George Monroe
purchased the home in 1932 and converted it into a funeral
building has undergone many changes since it was built.
A wrap around porch on the front of the building was
enclosed to make a private sitting room for the family during
Later this space was converted to an office.
A garage was added on the rear of the building.
Sometime later it was converted to a casket showroom,
then into the existing lounge.
LaRue Copher added a second chapel to the funeral home
in 1967. When
additional space was needed a new room was added to the south
side of the building in 1991.
This provided space to enlarge the original chapel, add
a new casket, vault and urn selection room and expand the
On April 26, 2002 a fire occurred in the
lounge at the rear of the building. The lounge addition
received extensive damage and had to be torn down. The
remainder of the original building sustained heat and smoke
damage. As a result the facility was completely remodeled and
upgraded. The addition for the lounge and a garage were
rebuilt on the back of the building. During this time
all of the funerals took place at our funeral home in Goshen. In 2004 the arrangements office was moved to
a building adjacent to the main funeral home to provide a
private office to meet families and larger selection room for
caskets, vaults and urns. This allowed the old selection room
to be used for office space for the funeral directors. In 2005
the parking lot was expanded to provide additional parking
In 2009 upgrades were made to the audio visual equipment at
the Milford facility. Large screen televisions were
added to the chapels.
History of the building at 1944 State Route 28, Goshen
1994, John H. Evans purchased a house and land, for a funeral
home in Goshen, Ohio, to meet the expanding needs of the
original house was expanded to include a chapel, large foyer,
sitting room with a fireplace and a lounge.
Other parts of the house were remodeled to suit the
needs of the funeral home.
The funeral home officially opened in 1995 as a full
The expansion of our chapel was completed in 2009. It
was expanded to comfortably seat over 180 people inside the
chapel. Upgrades were made to the sound system and large
flat screens televisions were installed in the chapel and the
foyer to show video tributes. Changes were made to the
exterior of the building changing the roof lines and
upgrading the siding and trim. In 2010 our parking lot
was expanded to provide additional parking for services.